You can always count on Michael Jordan to come through in the clutch, even well into his retirement. He’s leading the charge when it comes to Hurricane Florence relief efforts.
The Charlotte Hornets owner and six-time NBA champion donated $2 million earlier this week to areas of the Carolinas that were hit by Hurricane Florence.
His contribution went to the American Red Cross and the Foundation For The Carolinas’ Hurricane Florence Response Fund, with both organizations receiving $1 million each.
“It just hits home,” Jordan told The Associated Press in a phone interview. “I know all of those places: Wilmington, Fayetteville, Myrtle Beach, New Bern, and Wallace, which is where my father is from. So quite naturally it hits home, and I felt like I had to act in a sense that this is my home.”
Jordan, who is from Wilmington, played high school and college ball in North Carolina.
But, the 55-year-old didn’t just open his wallet. He got his hands dirty, too. On Friday, Jordan and members of the Hornets packed 5,000 food boxes that will be sent to residents affected by Hurricane Florence. The boxes contained items such as cereal, peanut butter, crackers, canned goods and drinks.
As for the gesture, Jordan said he wants his players to see the value in putting basketball to the side and helping their community.
“Hopefully they learn that to give back, it’s all about the heart. It’s not about how much you make or about what you own. It’s about sharing and caring [about] other people,” he said.
Charlotte Hornets Chairman Michael Jordan spoke about his initial reaction to the impact of Hurricane Florence on North Carolina and South Carolina #SwarmtoServe #CarolinaStrong pic.twitter.com/qpzRpzAx3N
— Charlotte Hornets (@hornets) September 21, 2018
The NFL plans to give $1 million to relief efforts as well, but Jordan’s donation is the largest by an individual.
“This is going to have a huge disruption on people’s lives — not for 10 days, but for year,” he told the Charlotte Observer. “You gotta take care of home.”
And Jordan has certainly proven to do that. In October of last year, he donated $7 million to establish two medical clinics in Charlotte’s at-risk communities.